Two Cowls for Sisters

I said yesterday that I cast on a new project, which is neither a tea cosy nor a pair of socks..  It is however, a cowl.  I’m using the Stockholm Scarf  pattern (available for free!) which looks so gorgeous and warm.  I have 50 g balls of merino (Paton’s Totem, which I got cheap because the colour has been discontinued)…  Starting this project made me remember that I forgot (what a funny phrase) to show you this:

It’s a cowl that I made for my sister, finished just before Easter… I used the pattern for A Noble Cowl, but made it longer so that it could be wrapped around twice (I don’t like the picture of me modeling it, so sorry that’s not going up here!).   It’s also knitted with Paton’s Totem Merino, in a dark grey – it was going cheap as an end of the line also…  It’s lovely to knit with, though it’s so slippery that you have to be careful not to drop stitches!  It’s a crepe wool, I’ve tried to find out what is different about crepe wool, but all I get is how to make pancakes!  I’ll have to ask my Mum about it…  Anyway, I bought three balls (all that was left at the shop) and made my sister this cowl.

Here is a close-up of the lace pattern, it’s like interlocking shields (although I also think they looks like tropical leaves), and is so pretty .  It looks fairly difficult, but once you have done a few rows, there is a pattern (haha) to it, and it’s fairly easy to pick up.  As you can see in the top picture, the cowl is starting to curl at the edges, which I don’t quite like because you can see the “wrong side” of it.  I’m sure non-knitters don’t notice the reverse stockingette stitch sneaking out from behind the “right side”, but it does bug me a little!

That’s why I decided to use the Stockholm Scarf Pattern for *my* cowl, because the lace is reversible!  What a clever idea.  I’m having a bit of trouble figuring out if I’m doing the stitches right, and already frogged the first 4 rows when I realised that converting the pattern to the round did not just mean reversing the knit and purl stitches in the uneven rows.  Luckily I found some helpful posts through Ravelry, so I’m on to the second round of the second round!  I’m still having trouble with some of the stitches, because the pattern does not have much detail (if you’re a knitter, have a look – I don’t know whether to hold my yarn in front or back when I slip the stitches, and whether to slip them knitwise or purlwise…).  I’ll let you know how I go – at the moment I am just holding the stitches where they ended up *before* the slipped stitch (ie in front if the preceding stitch was a purl, behind if it was knit), and I’m slipping the stitches purlwise, which tends to be the default.  I’ll have to knit a few more rows to see how it looks, but hopefully it will look good, even if I’m not quite doing it right!  I’ll let you know how it goes…

Upcoming Wooly Projects

Last night was the first night in a long time that I had no knitting projects on the go (well, I do have one, but it’s a secret project and I can’t knit it when a certain someone is around!).  So it’s definitely time to start on my next projects.  The other day at the Waipuna Hospice shop, I found the most gorgeous tea pot for $6.  It’s a lovely lemony yellow colour, and it’s also very large – I’d say at least tea for three!  It has a strainer inside it (like a little net basket) so it’s easy to make “real tea”.  The only thing it needs is a cosy to keep it nice and warm…

 

I’m thinking of making a tea cosy like Alice’s Spring Explosion one, I think it would go wonderfully with the bright yellow! I’ll have to go through my wool stash and find some colours for flowers.  Then there is just the small matter of learning how to crochet…

But I am also going to start another pair of socks (I can’t just have one pair, because what would I do when my other socks are in the wash?!?).  I have this loooooovely Magic Merino For Socks By Touch Yarns for my next pair.  It feels soooo soft and warm, I can’t wait for it to be on my feet…

It’s 80% merino wool with 20% nylon thrown in for good measure, and is made here in New Zealand, which is brilliant.  The shade is Remarkables, and it’s actually a little more pinky purple and darker than the photograph shows, I still have to work on getting my exposures right…

Anyway, as you can see I have balled it up (I split it into two parts, making sure they were even by weighing them on the kitchen scales!).  I don’t have a yarn winder, but I did have help:

This is Paris – she’s feeling a little camera shy, probably because I kept telling her off for messing with my wool!  In the end she sat very patiently just watching the yarn appear from the inside of the ball as I wound it up.  She was transfixed!  Maybe I will get a better picture of her later – she likes anything I do related to Wool or Spoons!

There is one more project I want to start (once I have finished the secret project!), but I’ll tell you about that later so I can put up some photos of the ingredients (6 balls of ingredients!).