FO: Goldfishies

My boyfriend’s nephew got a couple of goldfish, and like any two year old screamed his head off when he was told that he couldn’t take them out of the water for a cuddle. 

Image

Luckily, I have the means to make cuddly goldfish! I made these from a modified version of the Amigurumi Fish (knitted) pattern. I modified it because the original pattern had you casting on in a tiny tiny circle, which was incredibly fiddly with just a handful of stitches, and which had to be sewn up anyway. Modification number one was using Judy’s Magic Cast On, which I usually use for toe-up socks. If you’re wanting to practice sock techniques, this little fish is quite a good project. You can practice the cast on and increases without committing to the whole sock! 

 

Modification number two was knitting the fins by picking up stitches rather than knitting them separately as the pattern suggested. This means little hands will have a heck of a time undoing them! Modification number three was changing the tail shape. I knitted the first goldfish (light orange) with the shape in the pattern, but it wasn’t to my liking. The second goldfish (dark orange) has my own improvised tail shape, which I think is super cute. I also changed the eyes slightly, as the way it was, they were a bit too fiddly. 

 

All in all, I love these little fish! I think they turned out perfectly. And like any two year old, my boyfriend’s nephew screamed his head off when he wasn’t allowed to put the knitted goldfish in the water with the real ones.

 

 

FO: Plain old socks

Nothing like a pair of good, plain, stockingette socks. They are the kind that you can take in your bag with you anywhere, knit in cafes, bars, restaurants, on the bus, while having a conversations. After I finished these, I found that I was missing having something for my hands to do in all of these situations! I will need to start a new pair of plain socks ASAP… I was a bit silly and lost the bands for the wool that I used. I do remember that it is an NZ wool, bought in two separate 50g balls – on sale at a shop in Tauranga. A mix of wool and nylon, the usual for sock wool. It feels tough and a little scratchy on my feet, but I think that they will soften up with washing and wearing. 

Image

 I always knit my socks toe-up, and I cast on 26 stitches instead of the smaller number that the pattern (All the Math) suggests. I don’t like having flappy little pointy toes! I’ve knitted so many pairs of socks using this pattern now, that I hardly actually refer to it. Sometimes I just need a reminder when it comes to turning the heel to get the exact counts of stitches. I used a new (to me) kind of increase in these socks, as you can see in the picture above, and I am in love with it. It’s a Lifted Increase: LLI and RLI are the codes for the left and right leaning versions. It’s a bit complicated to get your head around, but once your head is all wrapped around it, it’s easy and makes a lovely looking increase. If you want to try it, there is a pretty clear tutorial here

Image

 

 

Image

The heels are reinforced with a slip one knit one on all of the right side rows. It makes such a thick, cushy heel, and I haven’t had a pair like this wear through yet. I have, however, had a couple of holes in the bottom part of the heel, which is not reinforced. 

Image

I also changed the ribbing on the top of the cuff to a ‘knit through back loop, purl one’ style, because I think it looks a lot tidier than the regular K1P1 or K2P2 ribbing. I bind off using Jenny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, as always. Image

 

Toasty.